Tuesday, August 18, 2009

(For all reading this, I'm practising for the TOEFL Writing Section, so I thought what the heck, I might as well blog it ;))

People attend college or university for many different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

(You have 30 minutes)

WHY DO PEOPLE ATTEND COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY?

There are various reasons why people attend college or university but before we look at just what are those reasons, let's first classify WHO are those people attending colleges or universities. Basically, these people are either a student who has yet to enter the workforce or an employee.

For students, I believe that the main reason they attend college or university is to obtain that higher qualification in education, that degree, which can be very important for them when they graduate and start applying for jobs. Oftentimes, employers will look for someone "qualified", or someone who possess a certain amount of education or training in specific areas of work, for example a degree in classical music, or a degree in environmental science. It is unlikely that employers will employ someone who only had basic or elementary education or training to be in positions that demand specialized training or qualification, which can only be obtained from colleges or universities. Apart from that, students often have high hopes and dreams of entering a good college or university, be it their own hopes and dreams or those that are imposed by their family or society. Usually, one that has a degree from Harvard or Oxford will command greater respect from their peers or society than someone that graduated from so-and-so college or university.

For workers returning to studying in colleges or universities (like me), I believe that they want to achieve a higher level of qualification in education, to take up new courses that will broaden their perspective in work and life, and/or to increase their market value i.e. the way employers value employees. For example, I am taking up M.B.A. after working for more than six years as a nutritionist, because I would like to obtain skills in management, knowledge in business management or administration, and to increase my chances of securing a higher position in climbing the corporate ladder. This will also help to increase my competitiveness in finding that job that I want. Besides, doing M.B.A. is also important for my future plans of setting up my own business, and in achieving my God-given vision of becoming a billionaire.

Therefore, people generally attend college or university to obtain a specialized qualification, which can be very important in getting a good job later.

(Let me know what you think about my essay, ok? And please feel free to correct my mistakes, as well as contribute any points that I may have missed out. Thanks Friends! And have a tantalizing Tuesday!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Deboshree said...

Hey John,

First of all..change this part-
Oftentimes, employers will look for someone "qualified".

It's not oftentimes my dear..it's ALWAYS! To ever get a job specializing in anything,you have to have the specific qualifications.

Otherwise, yes, your points are valid but something seems missing. I'm sorry if I'm saying too much but try writing it one more time.
Many times people join college bcoz of the idea of freedom associated with it. Some people just want to have a good time and enjoy their youth.

On another note....hehehe...I am not that lovely woman!I wouldn't be putting up a picture of me in that position for the whole world to see.

Love
Deboshree

Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home